Want to get paid royalties with out a record deal?

You’re broke. You’re a starving musician and you keep making these videos and sound content that gains a lot of views hoping to get discovered overnight. Let me tell you the truth. You’re dumb. There is no reason for you not to be profiting off your music right now. Even If it’s 5 or 10 dollars at a time it adds up. Right now your probably asking self “Wait how? Selling CDs, Selling Merch?”

I tell you the truth, that right now; even at this stage you could be getting royalties. You know why you’re not getting them??? Because you don’t got the ISRC and UPC codes embedded in your music. You never registered them with BMI, Soundscan and Sound Exchange. If your new to the business side of music. There is a whole process that musicians tend to skip, because either their fear of how complex it seems or just sheer ignorance.

There is a fairly simply and cheap multistep process into legit getting pay per view on YouTube, Facebook and what ever other platform your using to advertise or promote your music.

First lets talk copyright. A copyright is usually the first step. You recorded your track got it mastered. Now you want to copyright and own the recording. The government allows you to pay $35 to register and upload your work then even now a days gives you the URL of the copyright.  http://www.copyright.gov  

Nextly, you could do this step either before or after the copyright. But if you’re going to a professional studio they are most likely going to do this step before. Obtain an ISRC. If your rookie, you’re thinking what the FK is a ISRC.  The International Standard Recording Code (ISRC) is an international standard code for uniquely identifying sound recordings and music video recordings.


This is a key to getting royalties and tracking your sound spin wherever they are being played in the world. This code is needed for each and every version of the song. Whether it be the clean or the dirty, A cappella, show version and even the video version of the audio. All these codes need to be embedded into the tracks.  And registered with BMI or ASCAP, SoundExcange, Neilsen and CD baby helps to enforce your royalties.

Lastly, there is The Universal Product Code (UPC) is a barcode symbology (i.e., a specific type of barcode) that is widely used in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and in other countries for tracking trade items in stores. This number can be obtain through CD baby and get this for each single or compilations. Only one UPC is needed for the sale of audio. Not for the version if they wont be up for sale.

Now we get to the question, how do you make money from your music? Once you have all your codes, register all of your codes with BMI, Neilsen and Sound Exchange. Also CD baby service where the register and enforce your royalties for you. The call to action I want you to get from this blog. Do these steps before you release any music into the world. Try to do this by singles instead of whole projects. Make some income off of your music. Then go big.  

Sign up to ask me question for how to maneuver in this industry. We are all Indie lets stick together.